Tuesday, August 9, 2016

For the Love of All Good Books!

Every year as I start back to school with a fresh batch of students, one of the first things my new students see is my classroom library.  Their jaws (and many of the parents' jaws) drop and they begin to drool over my classroom library.  (I stopped counting at 2,000 books and many of my upper elementary or middle school books are not counted in the above total, as they are safely stored away in case they are ever needed again!)  I jokingly say that I could open my very own small library!  It is not uncommon for my teaching peers stop by looking for book suggestions or to borrow something for their upcoming lessons.  I have turned more than one adamant non-reader into a reader.  I LOVE books.

Every year I have a collection of treasured books that I share with students to help them understand the valuable riches I am going to be entrusting to them.  I specifically teach how to care for the books and why they are important.  This year, I am even more excited than ever to start those lessons, as I have found some new book themed treats.  If you are a teacher, I highly encourage your to check these out.  If you are a parent, I can assure you that they will love stories!

"How to Read A Story" by Kate Messner
Accelerated Reading Level:  2.9

This is a perfect fit for teaching buddy reading, voice, and the power of imagination!  If you are doing the Daily 5 for guided reading, it is a perfect fit for the "3 Ways to Read a Book" as this adorable story encourages readers to use the illustrations in the book to "read" and/or enhance the story.  The illustrator, Mark Siegel, did a fantastic job with this book.  I truly can't say enough good things about this book.  Get your hands on it, find a child and share it.  I guarantee they will be asking you to read it again.

"Where are My Books?" by Debbie Ridpath Ohi
Accelerated Reading Level:  2.4

We all know that young children will often request the same story be read to them every night, over and over.  As adults, we are often baffled by that request and desperately want them to choose a new book.  Well, the main character in this story, Spencer, is one of those kids.  His favorite bedtime story is "Night-Night, Narwhal."  But one night it is not in its' designated spot and he reluctantly concedes to his dad reading another book.  The next night that book goes missing.  The mystery deepens for several nights.  Spencer takes matters into his own hand, and eventually finds his books.  I won't share the who has taken them, but know that they took them because they love to read.  Spencer teaches them about the proper way to borrow books and life is so much better after that.  This would be a great book to introduce how to check out books from the classroom library as well as book care and book organization.  As an added bonus, have students try to find the alliteration in the book.  Be sure to check it out!


"Let Me Finish!" by Minh Le
Accelerated Reading Level:  Not yet rated, but I would guess around 2.1

This story is told in first person and the main character is never named.  It might be fun for kids to vote on what name would be good for the boy.  Here the boy knows the importance of finding that just right, comfortable spot where he can block everything out and just read.  But various animals keep interrupting him, asking questions, trying to tell him the ending, etc.  He keeps trying to find a new perfect spot.   What happens at the end is hilarious!  This will be a perfect mentor text for teaching students about reading to self and the importance of not bothering someone who is reading.  I can't wait to share this gem with my new students.  I can just hear the laughter now!  Later, when they are "supposed" to be showing me "sustained silent reading" and someone starts talking, instead of my saying "No talking, please" I might just hold up a picture of the cover of this book.  I'm sure it will be a much more effective means of redirection.

No comments:

Post a Comment