Sunday, August 7, 2016

Let it Rain!

Weather and the water cycles are commonly studied science units in the elementary classrooms.   I'm always on the look-out for exciting new additions to these units of study.  This summer I found these that I can't wait to share with my students!

Water is Water by Miranda Paul

This book has few words, but the words are chosen with such care that in conjunction with the illustrations, they speak volumes.   Here the author interweaves poetic language with alliteration as it follows water throughout the year.  This book is gentle and charming and causes me to read over and over.  I love watching the two children interact with the various animals on each page and I noticed that the illustrator, Jason Chin, inserted a black cat on most pages.  I think this book would be a wonderful book to use during guided reading to increase vocabulary and reading fluency as there are patterns and phrasings that would engage beginning readers.  I highly, highly recommend this book!

Over in the Wetlands:  A Hurricane on the Bayou Story by Caroline Starr Rose and Rob Dunlavey
Accelerated Reading Level:  3.8

Students in MN where I teach are familiar with thunderstorms and know that tornadoes are possible.  They have been taught what to do to keep safe.  Here, however, is a book that explains how animals in the bayou prepare for and survive hurricanes.  This poetic book has the rhythm and flow a familiar children's song "Over in the Meadow" and is told in from the perspective of animals.   It is sure to engage young animal lovers and provide plenty of opportunities to research the animals found in the bayou.  I appreciated the additional geographical information on wetlands and the states bordering the Gulf of Mexico, as well as the additional information on the animals found in this book that the author includes at the end of the story. This book was published in time for the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina and with its gorgeous illustrations is a guaranteed treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment